Acting for Film Concentration
Year One: Acting for Film
Seattle Film Institute’s Undergraduate Acting for Film Concentration provides thorough, rigorous training designed to develop students’ individual talent and provide the tools, experience and discipline necessary for a successful film acting career.
Through an integrated, project-based curriculum, students expand their emotional range and achieve the ability to communicate truthfully within a scene. Over the course of the program, students acquire the real-world experience and professional technique needed to perform at the highest artistic level, while negotiating the technical demands and logistical concerns of a film shoot.
• Faculty comprised of working professionals
• Students work on a variety of projects in multiple formats (film, HD, digital video)
• Performance showcases with industry professionals.
• Opportunities to network and collaborate with SFI Filmmaking and Producing students
• Acting & Scene Study
• Acting for the Camera
• Audition Technique
• Script Analysis
• Voice & Speech
• Movement for Actors
• Set Protocol
• The Business of Film Acting
• Students graduate with professional quality head shots, demo reel and resume
• Audition workshops with professional casting directors
• Professional quality projects
Other available MFA concentrations:
Filmmaking | Motion Graphics & Visual FX | Sound Design & Recording Arts | Interdisciplinary Studies
Year Two: Producing
The core curriculum provides all students with an overview of the filmmaking process and focuses on the four major areas of producing:
• Creative elements and the creative team
• The business of filmmaking (business, financial and legal)
• Management (pre-production, production, and post-production)
• Marketing and distribution
The curriculum and the mission of the MFA is to provide students with the knowledge, tools, and practical skills to define and implement career goals and accomplish their creative, business, and entrepreneurial goals with personal and professional integrity.
The MFA in Filmmaking & Producing is ideal for those intending to start their own production companies or work as free-lance filmmakers and provides students the tools and abilities to generate and oversee projects as well as the hands-on production skills needed to implement those projects and see them though to completion.
• Acquire a wide-ranging skill set that combines the tools and abilities of a filmmaker with those of a producer
• Gain hands-on experience in all aspects of filmmaking including writing, directing, cinematography, and editing
• Work in both film and HD video
• Complete a feature-length screenplay
• Construct a demo-reel of completed projects
• Craft a resume with specific crew positions
• Learn to Initiate, coordinate, supervise all aspects of a film production including creative, business, management, and marketing, distribution and sales
• Learn filmmaking by making films as students work on 10-15 projects during the program
• Obtain a skill-set that is directly applicable to a wide range of career paths involving project development, project management, business planning, financial oversight, and marketing.
• Conceive and develop a feature film proposal from tag line to budget, schedule, business plan and finance and distribution plan.
• Develop your professional network as you stay with the same group of students throughout the cohort based program
• Experience the opportunity and energy of Seattle’s diverse production community as a center for independent filmmaking, software development, web based companies, and hi-tech video gaming
• Gain professional work experience as a participant in the SFI internship program
Life in Seattle
Seattle is a sports town. Whether you like the Mariners, Seahawks, Storm, Sounders, there is always something to see and with tons of play fields located all throughout the city, always something to do.
Careers & Internships
Our students gain valuable professional experience and contacts through our nationally renowned internship and career placement program. Whether it’s in Los Angeles with Toby Maguire Entertainment or Kevin Spacey’s Trigger Street Productions, here in Seattle with Microsoft or Screaming Flea, our internships provide that critical first professional know-how that is crucial to starting your career in film.
At SFI, you’ll get the skills and education, as well the important job placement assistance you need to start your career in the film industry.
Through the internship program, I was able to work on an independent feature film three days after moving to LA. I not only learned what it is like to work on a real production, but the connections I made from that one internship have now given me eight other job opportunities; and led to my being hired to direct an independent feature film. The internship program has made a world of difference in my life.