Filmmaking & Producing MFA - Interdisciplinary Studies
The Master of Fine Arts (MA) in Filmmaking & Producing is the only graduate degree program of its kind, combining the hands-on production skills of a filmmaker with the business and project management skills of a producer. In this two-year program, students focus on their chosen concentration in year one and participate in a core curriculum during their second year.
Year One: Interdisciplinary Studies
Seattle Film Institute’s Concentration in Interdisciplinary Studies offers the ultimate in flexibility. Students work closely with our team of faculty and advisors to create a custom-tailored program that will help you to explore your areas of interest in various aspects of filmmaking in an almost almost infinite combination of study. For example, a student might combine aspects of Filmmaking with Acting for Film or with Motion Graphics or a combination. Choose courses from our available concentrations: Filmmaking, Acting for Film, Motion Graphics & Visual FX and Sound Design & Recording Arts for a bespoke 8-quarter program that perfectly suits students’ career aspirations and needs.
Once you graduate, you’ll have the ready skills needed to access a job-market as diverse as your designed program. Educational choice, maximum flexibility and a program tailored to your needs and promising future. Expect the best at SFI.
Other available concentrations:
Year Two: Producing
The core curriculum provides all students with an overview of the filmmaking process and focuses on the four major areas of producing:
Creative elements and the creative team
The business of filmmaking (business, financial and legal)
Management (pre-production, production, and post-production)
Marketing and distribution
The curriculum and the mission of the MFA is to provide students with the knowledge, tools, and practical skills to define and implement career goals and accomplish their creative, business, and entrepreneurial goals with personal and professional integrity.
The MFA in Filmmaking & Producing is ideal for those intending to start their own production companies or work as free-lance filmmakers and provides students the tools and abilities to generate and oversee projects as well as the hands-on production skills needed to implement those projects and see them though to completion.
• Acquire a wide-ranging skill set that combines the tools and abilities of a filmmaker with those of a producer
• Gain hands-on experience in all aspects of filmmaking including writing, directing, cinematography, and editing
• Work in both film and HD video
• Complete a feature-length screenplay
• Construct a demo-reel of completed projects
• Craft a resume with specific crew positions
• Learn to Initiate, coordinate, supervise all aspects of a film production including creative, business, management, and marketing, distribution and sales
• Learn filmmaking by making films as students work on 10-15 projects during the program
• Obtain a skill-set that is directly applicable to a wide range of career paths involving project development, project management, business planning, financial oversight, and marketing.
• Conceive and develop a feature film proposal from tag line to budget, schedule, business plan and finance and distribution plan.
• Develop your professional network as you stay with the same group of students throughout the cohort based program
• Experience the opportunity and energy of Seattle’s diverse production community as a center for independent filmmaking, software development, web based companies, and hi-tech video gaming
• Gain professional work experience as a participant in the SFI internship program
Life in Seattle
Seattle is a sports town. Whether you like the Mariners, Seahawks, Storm, Sounders, there is always something to see and with tons of play fields located all throughout the city, always something to do.
Careers & Internships
Our students gain valuable professional experience and contacts through our nationally renowned internship and career placement program. Whether it’s in Los Angeles with Toby Maguire Entertainment or Kevin Spacey’s Trigger Street Productions, here in Seattle with Microsoft or Screaming Flea, our internships provide that critical first professional know-how that is crucial to starting your career in film.
At SFI, you’ll get the skills and education, as well the important job placement assistance you need to start your career in the film industry.
Through the internship program, I was able to work on an independent feature film three days after moving to LA. I not only learned what it is like to work on a real production, but the connections I made from that one internship have now given me eight other job opportunities; and led to my being hired to direct an independent feature film. The internship program has made a world of difference in my life.