Motion Graphics & Visual FX Concentration
The Master of Fine Arts (MA) in Filmmaking & Producing is the only graduate degree program of its kind, combining the hands-on production skills of a filmmaker with the business and project management skills of a producer. In this two-year program, students focus on their chosen concentration in year one and participate in a core curriculum during their second year.
Year One: Motion Graphics & Visual FX
Imagine your creative ideas brought to life in this exciting field that combines film, audio, graphic design and animation.
Motion graphics is a rapidly expanding field with vast career potential. This time-based form of visual communication creates the appearance of motion and transformation, and can be applied to film title sequences, broadcast advertising, digital game production, the web, visual presentations, kinetic art and much, much more.
The four-quarter first year of the Motion Graphics and Visual FX Concentration emphasizes both the artistic and technical aspects of motion design, while providing students a thorough grounding in traditional filmmaking skills. The concentration is highly technical and creative at the same time.
Students graduate with the skill set, experience, and professional portfolio necessary to launch successful careers, and are eligible to participate in SFI's nationally acclaimed internship program.
• Graphic Design
• Visual Storytelling
• Sequencing Images
• Cinematography and Lighting
• Film History and Analysis
• Hands-On and Project-Based Curriculum
• Career-Focused and Professionally-Driven
• Nationally Acclaimed Internship Program
Year Two: Producing
The core curriculum provides all students with an overview of the filmmaking process and focuses on the four major areas of producing:
• Creative elements and the creative team
• The business of filmmaking (business, financial and legal)
• Management (pre-production, production, and post-production)
• Marketing and distribution
The curriculum and the mission of the MFA is to provide students with the knowledge, tools, and practical skills to define and implement career goals and accomplish their creative, business, and entrepreneurial goals with personal and professional integrity.
The MFA in Filmmaking & Producing is ideal for those intending to start their own production companies or work as free-lance filmmakers and provides students the tools and abilities to generate and oversee projects as well as the hands-on production skills needed to implement those projects and see them though to completion.
• Acquire a wide-ranging skill set that combines the tools and abilities of a filmmaker with those of a producer
• Gain hands-on experience in all aspects of filmmaking including writing, directing, cinematography, and editing
• Work in both film and HD video
• Complete a feature-length screenplay
• Construct a demo-reel of completed projects
• Craft a resume with specific crew positions
• Learn to Initiate, coordinate, supervise all aspects of a film production including creative, business, management, and marketing, distribution and sales
• Learn filmmaking by making films as students work on 10-15 projects during the program
• Obtain a skill-set that is directly applicable to a wide range of career paths involving project development, project management, business planning, financial oversight, and marketing.
• Conceive and develop a feature film proposal from tag line to budget, schedule, business plan and finance and distribution plan.
• Develop your professional network as you stay with the same group of students throughout the cohort based program
• Experience the opportunity and energy of Seattle’s diverse production community as a center for independent filmmaking, software development, web based companies, and hi-tech video gaming
• Gain professional work experience as a participant in the SFI internship program
Life in Seattle
Seattle is a sports town. Whether you like the Mariners, Seahawks, Storm, Sounders, there is always something to see and with tons of play fields located all throughout the city, always something to do.
Careers & Internships
Our students gain valuable professional experience and contacts through our nationally renowned internship and career placement program. Whether it’s in Los Angeles with Toby Maguire Entertainment or Kevin Spacey’s Trigger Street Productions, here in Seattle with Microsoft or Screaming Flea, our internships provide that critical first professional know-how that is crucial to starting your career in film.
At SFI, you’ll get the skills and education, as well the important job placement assistance you need to start your career in the film industry.
Through the internship program, I was able to work on an independent feature film three days after moving to LA. I not only learned what it is like to work on a real production, but the connections I made from that one internship have now given me eight other job opportunities; and led to my being hired to direct an independent feature film. The internship program has made a world of difference in my life.